Anchors are objects related with ships and the sea, which is a reason why anchor tattoos are predominantly associated with sailors and people related with the sea. However, over a period of time, anchor tattoo have found an important place in tattoo art and has become a preferred choice among tattoo lovers around the world. Besides their aesthetic value, these great looking designs have a symbolic meaning too, which are probably the reasons behind their popularity.
Table of Contents
Anchor Tattoos The Symbolic Meaning
Basically, anchor tattoos are related with the ocean, but the deeper meaning of the tattoo goes much beyond the superficial one. There are several interpretations which have been made regarding this well liked tattoo design. Some of these are listed as follows:
- Symbolically, anchor represents the determination of standing put in any kind of situation, as the object is something which refuses to sink and stay there, despite the tough tides of the ocean. In other words, it can be said that anchor stands for stability and resilience, which is described as the attitude of the bearer of this tattoo design. It relates him with the feeling of positivity and courage, with the ability to face even the most adverse situation with inner strength and determination.
- Another theory relates the anchor tattoo with the Christian religion as it reflects the anchor as a symbol of the Holy Cross. Historically, it is believed that the anchor was used by the Christians as the secret way to represent the cross, while they were making efforts to escape from the atrocities of the Romans. It meant salvation and hope, as explained by Christianity. Then and even now, anchor tattoo is used as a subtle way to showcase one’s religious faith and belief.
- Some people have anchor tattoos engraved on themselves to show their gratitude towards such people, who have played the vital role of an anchor in their lives. It is like a piece of dedication and ovation to the people who act as the sheet anchor in one’s life.
- Another message which is given by an anchor tattoos is one’s conviction and ability to withstand the hardest of challenges and struggles in life. Just as a small anchor can manage to control a huge ship, it brings the strength of character in a person, who can tackle the biggest of problems in life, with plain and simple positivity of attitude.
Both the historical and contemporary thought about anchor tattoo has made it a great choice among the young and the old alike. Another reason for this is that this design has been popularized by rock stars, with many of them sporting anchor tattoos, which has made the design a hot favorite among the young generation in particular. Since the last few decades, this design has crossed the barrier of the impression of being favored by people associated with the sea, and more and more people from other backgrounds are having them adorned on themselves.
Some Popular Anchor Tattoo Designs
Anchor tattoos are favored by men and women alike, both from the younger as well as the older generation. The plain and simple reason for this is that in addition to looking good on any part of the body, they add a new meaning to one’s personality. Anchor tattoo designs add a strength and conviction to the personality of the bearer, which is why tattoo designers have been focusing on this object to be framed in various designs and patterns. Here are some popular anchor tattoo designs:
- Anchor Tattoo with Roses – The anchor tattoo which combines roses with it looks exquisite as well as represents love, honor and sacrifice. They look best on women as roses make the tattoo design more on the feminine side.
- Anchor Tattoo with Heart – The heart, which stands for love and devotion, is another cool object which is often blended in popular anchor tattoo designs, to exhibit one’s passion and devotion towards the most special person in his life.
- Anchor tattoos for Couples – Couple tattoos are usually chosen by people who want to dedicate themselves to each other and tell that they are the most important persons in the lives of each other. One of the best choice for couple tattoos are anchor tattoos because they reflect that the two of them are anchored to each other and bound with each other for a lifetime.
- Anchor and Rope Tattoo – Another cool option in anchor tattoo designs is the anchor and rope combination, which is often seen on sailors and the people related with the ocean. Anchor design combined with chains and ropes is well liked by the members of the US Navy. The design is very masculine in looks.
- Black Anchor Tattoo Designs – While most of the anchor tattoos are colored, those featured in monochrome designs in black and grey look quite cool and masculine and have a considerable fan following. Colored tattoos are preferred by females as they can look absolutely dazzling on them.
Other tattoo designs may combine objects like birds, animal such as lion, fish, feathers, skull and water, flowers, dreamcatcher along with the basic anchor pattern. Some people may have their names, initials or any words of quotations carved along with the anchor. These quotations can be suggested by the designers or chosen by the bearer himself, as something he wants to say to the world by the medium of this body art. Yet others may combine some religious symbols along with the tattoo to make an expression of one’s religious faith and belief.
Placement of Anchor Tattoos
There is a great variety available in anchor tattoo designs, with some of them being big, small, black, colored or combined with a host of other objects, showcasing the creativity of the tattoo designer who has created these designs. These can be placed on various body parts of men and women, including the chest, back, wrist, ankle, arm, shoulder or even fingers. The placement is determined on the basis of tattoo size as well as the design. A message added to the anchor tattoo can add a completely new meaning to it, besides reflecting the reason behind getting the tattoo done. “Refuse to Sink” is what an anchor stands for and the message stands for one’s attitude in life, standing up against all kinds of adversities and being determined about never giving up.
One of the most probable causes of the attraction of anchor tattoo designs is its association with the ocean, which has always been an object of fascination for human race since times immemorial. It has always evoked some kinds of emotions in humans, while some are attracted towards the endless body of water, others are saddened by it, as women whose men are leaving for a long voyage. This is why anchor tattoos too, have diverse meanings for different people. These tattoos are considered quite fashionable and reflect the attitude and personality of the bearer.
However, the deeper meaning hidden behind the anchor tattoo is all the more reason why one must be very careful while choosing an anchor tattoo design, which would describe one’s personality to the best and at the same time, connect with it.