For centuries now, men and women have been relying upon various forms of body adornments to catch the eye of onlookers. While piercing the skin at various locations and wearing jewelry pieces on them has been one of these forms, another one is the amazing art of inking tattoos on various parts of the body. Tattoos make an attractive way to adorn your body as well as make a declaration of your attitude by having a design inked on your body. Besides the design of the tattoo, its placement is of great importance too.
Arm tattoos make one of the most popular choices for men and women as these tattoos offer great versatility in design and size. The best thing about arm tattoos is that they make a very eye catching fare and at the same time, they are easy to conceal when you need to do so. After all, it would be great to flaunt your arm tattoo when you are out at the beach or a party but it would not be a good idea to show it off when you are going for an interview or a business meet. When you talk about arm tattoos, the variety in them is extensive as wrist tattoos, shoulder tattoos, sleeve tattoos, upper arm tattoos, lower arm tattoos, inner arm tattoos and outer arm tattoos, all fall under the category of arm tattoos.
Table of Contents
Why Arm Tattoos Are So Popular?
There are a number of reasons why arm tattoos have been able to garner so much of popularity among people of both the sexes and all age groups. Arms make a prominent area of the body and people work pretty hard to get sculpted muscles on this area. As a result, it becomes imperative that they desire to get attention on this region of the body. These tattoos work both ways depending upon the fact whether a man is bearing them or a woman; they stand for manliness when inked on a man and represent delicate beauty when done on a woman’s body. Visibility is another powerful factor behind the popularity of arm tattoos. They can be covered by wearing a long sleeve shirt when the situation requires so and you can expose it to grab attention by simply rolling up your sleeves. Arm tattoos have been popularly used in both Western and Eastern cultures as well in Native American tribes.
Size and Placement of Arm Tattoos
The size and placement of arm tattoos depends upon a variety of factors which need to be considered at the time of selecting the tattoos. Here are some points to consider in this regard:
- You should bear in your mind your professional commitments while choosing the arm tattoo design as you have to consider its visibility and how it is going to affect your profession.
- Besides the tattoo design, you also need to consider the color of the tattoo too. It is all a matter of personal taste because some people might like conventional black and grey tattoos while others are more inclined towards having bright and vibrantly colored tattoos.
- Upper arm tattoos are easier to be inked as compared to wrist, elbow and lower arm tattoos as the areas mentioned later are bonier and having tattoos inked on them can be considerably painful.
- The design’s symbolic meaning also has a bearing on its choice by an individual because tattoos are a reflection of your personality as well as attitude. The meaning of the design of tattoo can be interpreted on the basis of elements used in the design, with each element having a distinct meaning.
- In the end, the skin tone of the tattoo bearer also plays a key role in the selection of the arm tattoo designs as certain types of tattoos look more prominent on darker skin tones while other types are more suitable for people with lighter skin tones. Those with lighter skin tone have a greater liberty as far as use of tattoo ink is concerned because even light colors or white ink tattoos show well on such skin tones.
Cool Arm Tattoo Ideas for Men And Women
Arm tattoos make a widely acclaimed option for tattoos enthusiasts, both men as well as women. This is the reason why tattoo designers are constantly working on creating new designs for such tattoos, in addition to the traditional ones which continue to be on the top of popularity charts. Here are some of the most appreciated designs for arm tattoos:
- Symbolic and Text Tattoos – The forearm and wrist make a perfect placement for creating symbols related to religion as they can help the bearer profess his religious belief with full conviction. That is why, it is common to notice Celtic crosses and Om symbols on forearms and wrists of many men and women. Similarly, it is common for people to have names and initials of loved ones inked on this area. One can also have a quote or text imprinted and so can they go for important dates such as birth date or death date of a loved one, to keep them reminding of their importance in one’s life.
- Japanese and Chinese Arm Tattoos – Sleeve tattoos, which are at the pinnacle of popularity right now, actually have their roots traced in the Chinese and Japanese cultures as these tattoos were basically used by clans to identify their members. The Yakuza gang of Japan was famous for bearing such tattoos. Of late, the sleeve tattoos have found their footing in the Western cultures too and are considered something eye catching and alluring, making them one of the most desirable forms of arm tattoos. Certain design elements have always been a part of Japanese and Chinese tattoo art and they have been used there for centuries now. These include the koi fish, cherry blossoms, lotus flower, tiger, dragon and some deities of these cultures.
- Americana Arm Tattoos – Another popular form of arm tattoos are the ones which belong to Americana art, which are large tattoos inked on the forearm area but are different from the sleeve tattoos of Japanese and Chinese art. Commonly, these designs include elements like swallow, nautical stars and family crests, the designs which were popularized during the era of the World War II. You can also spot some designs related to the American Navy, Air Force or Army, whole name tattoos are also common amongst these.
- Tribal Arm Tattoos – Tribal designs also create a distinct impression because of their bold lines and forms. Maori, Mandala and Samoan are widely preferred by men on Arm.
- Birds Arm Tattoos – There are many tattoo lovers who prefers to have bird tattoos on Arm as best choice. Phoenix, swallow, hummingbird, crow, raven, eagle and dove are most popular as birds tattoos.
Additionally, women can go for delicate elements as a part of their arm tattoos, which include the likes of flower patterns, butterflies, angels, bees and pin up girls. The choice of arm tattoos ultimately depends upon the bearer and what he or she wants to depict through the tattoo.
In a nutshell, you must finalize a tattoo design for your arm only after carefully considering all these factors with full seriousness and conviction. After all, tattoos are a serious business as they involve considerable time, money and pain to be borne by the person who has them inked. Moreover, a tattoo once inked is a part of you forever as tattoo removal is a hard job.