Dragons, the mythical creatures which breathe fire have always been a source of fascination for the human race and this is the very reason why these creatures have been used since times immemorial, in various art forms around the world. Tattoo art, too, is not untouched by the attraction of the creature and dragon tattoos are a popular design option in this art. With this amazing element, the tattoo looks powerful and alluring and is sure to catch the eye of others, which is the very purpose of having a tattoo done by any person.
Table of Contents
Symbolic Significance & Meaning of Dragon Tattoos
Dragons are legendary creatures, which are associated with strength and power. The creature is huge and scaly and emits fire though its mouth. There is something about them, which associates them with beauty as well as fear. Different cultures around the world associate the creature with diverse meanings.
- Dragon is a powerful creature, which associates the dragon tattoo with strength, bravery and power.
- The dragon occupies a very important place in Japanese mythology, where it is regarded as the water deity. The culture views this majestic creature in a very different way, with the head of a camel, paws of a tiger, claws of an eagle and scales of a carp. The Japanese dragon depicts the balance in life.
- The Chinese culture also regards this magnificent creature with great reverence. It represents power and incites fear in the enemies. Dragon harbingers luck, wisdom and goodwill in this culture. In both, Japanese and Chinese cultures, the creature is considered a benevolent one.
- On the other hand, the Western culture deems the dragon as an epitome and evil and the creature is feared in this culture. Dragons are seen as the evil creatures in most of the European folklore. In Germany, the creature is regarded as the symbol of greed and negativity, as it lives in dark and underground areas. The Roman culture treats is as mix of Asian and Western influences and the meaning varies from design to design.
In most parts of the world, dragon tattoos are loved as the creature makes a show of power and strength and attributes these traits to the bearer of the tattoo. Would you like to check our hand-picked collection of Lion Tattoos?
Placement of Dragon Tattoos
Dragon tattoos are usually large in size as the creature itself is majestic and huge. It is a well known fact that the size of the tattoo influences its placement on the human body, that is, larger the size, more is the surface required to depict it on the body of the bearer. Therefore, dragon tattoos are ideally featured on the back, side and chest, thighs and most of them cover a huge surface area, sometimes the hole of the body part. Smaller versions of the tattoo can be seen on the shoulder, wrist, ankle, finger, arm and neck. The dragon tattoo design is equally popular among both the sexes, but it has to be done after a lot of consideration because the tattoo may be huge in size, which means one may have to spend a great deal of time and money on it. Additionally, such a big tattoo is hard to get rid of, if one wants so at a later stage.
Popular Dragon Tattoo Designs
There are plenty of design options available in the dragon tattoos as it is a versatile element, which can be displayed in several ways. The tattoo may be done in conventional black and grey colors or in an array of vibrant color, depending upon the basic design as well as the preference of the tattoo bearer. The essence is that it should look beautiful and eye catching, besides displaying the true meaning of the tattoo. While black and grey represent the strength and power aspect of the dragon, the ones which are featured in bright colors are more about its aesthetic beauty and are the better option for female tattoo bearers. Here are some common dragon tattoo designs:
- The most popular among the dragon tattoo designs are the Chinese and Japanese tattoo dragon designs, which are generally borne on the chest area and look great as masculine tattoos.
- The tribal dragon tattoos often feature dragons as large and fierce creatures, with a striking visual impact created by the use of bold lines and curves.
- Masculine dragon tattoos represent the brave and fierce side of the dragon and carry bold and manly design while softer lines and graceful curves are integral part of feminine designs; as such designs are meant to allure the onlooker with their stunning beauty. Girls can have smaller sized tattoos etched on their shoulders, arms, back of the neck and ankles, while men usually go for bigger, more powerful designs which cover a good part of their back or chest and can be flaunted by them.
- Some dragon tattoo designs can incorporate other common tattoo elements such as the skull, flowers and birds, depending upon the choice of the user. The design can be discussed with a creative designer, who can create something unique as per the demand of his client.
- Dragon with fire is another popular option as it looks attractive and is bound to capture the attention of the onlooker with its vibrant color and bold design influence.
Celebrities With Dragon Tattoos
Though dragons have always mystified people and more and more of them are interested in this particular tattoo design, the popularity of the design has increased manifold because of global celebrities endorsing the same. Some of the big names who have been spotted with dragon tattoos are Angelina Jolie, Bruce Willis, Mel B, Mel C, Pink, Howard Stern, Paula Yates, Lenny Kravitz and Jack Osbourne.
The options in dragon tattoo design are actually endless and it is up to the bearer to choose the best one for oneself. All he needs is the right attitude to carry this bold tattoo in a great way. Dragon tattoo has always been in trend and will continue to rule the hearts of millions around the world. Would you like to check our collection of Bird tattoos?
The dragon is a legendary creature, which stands for courage, strength and power in the Eastern culture and fear and evil in the Western world. Besides its symbolic significance, the tattoo design has a wonderful aesthetic value, making it a much sought after tattoo design all over the world. Most of the dragon tattoos are large and eye catching, which is the main reason of its popularity.
Popular Images Of Dragon Tattoos