Tattoos are a form of body art, which describe one’s attitude and personality to the best. For this purpose, it is important to choose a tattoo design with care, as tattoos are permanent in nature and there is time, money and physical pain involved in having a tattoo done on your body. There is a great variety available in tattoo designs for men and women, with skull tattoos being one of the most popular options for youngsters looking to get themselves inked. In fact, skulls are something which will strike your mind at the first thought of tattoos. Skull tattoos are meant for the bad, the rebellious and the ones who want to flaunt their attitude. But these are a versatile lot, with a look which can be changed by simply incorporating some additional design elements, which can make the basic design look scary or even cute.
Table of Contents
Symbolic Meaning of Skull Tattoos
Skulls are usually looked upon as scary and threatening objects, but the fact is that they can be adapted in different ways to depict different meanings. For instance, a sultry skull done in black or grey can be frightening and masculine to look at, oozing pure power and strength. On the other hand, a skull done in a soft and delicate color with the eyes depicted by hearts can look absolutely cute and girly. In some cultures, skull tattoos have been related with gangs and prison, while they have been used as a talisman for bikers to protect them from the dangers of death. In fact, skull stands for death and mortality, reinstating the fact that man is mortal and he is going to die one day. In some cases, it also signifies life after death. In modern context, youngsters associate skull tattoos with being cool, which is why they love this tattoo design so much and it is very popular among the youth, both boys and girls. It shows sheer power and fearlessness, besides ability to face any kind of danger, which is quite an enhancement for a youngster’s personality. Would you like to check our hand-picked collection of top 100 Maori Tattoos?
Popular Skull Tattoo Designs
The first impression one gets about a skull tattoo is a cool and fearless attitude, but it can be used in many different ways and combines with various symbols to give it an entirely new meaning. Tattoo designers have used their creative ideas to add a new dimension to skull tattoo designs by incorporating other symbols, designs or even text with them. They can be designed in different sizes, shapes and colors to create a striking effect. Some customized skull tattoos have been created to infuse life into the skull tattoo design, with detailed designing and abstract lining. A pink colored skull with hearts for eyes or a bow perched under it is a cool skull design for women. Some other elements which can be added to the basic skull tattoo design are roses, snakes, crow, heart, and so on. Here are some other cool skull tattoo design ideas:
- Skull Tattoo Love Design – The love design in skull tattoo is one of the most popular designs for both men and women, which has a skull incorporated with two crossbones and red hearts in place of eyes, to show the adventurous nature of love.
- Flower Skull Tattoo Design – Another cool option in skull tattoo designs is the floral design, which showcases the skull with crossbones and flowers, done in an array of vibrant colors and soft patterns for a brilliant effect. It can be done in a feminine or masculine design according to the taste and requirement of the bearer. Roses, lotus and cherry blossoms are the flowers commonly used in floral skull pattern.
- Tribal Skull Tattoo – The tribal skull tattoo, which is done in black and features bold strokes and lines, remains an eternal favorite among the skull tattoo designs. This design is mostly favored by men and looks best when done on arms, chest, wrist, shoulders, thigh and back. It is a strong looking design which showcases raw power and bravery.
- Morbid Skull Tattoo – The morbid skull tattoo design is done with a 3D technique and looks absolutely scary. It represents confidence and strength of the bearer. Similarly, a smashed skull tattoo design can signify the end of the old and the beginning of the new.
- Sugar Skull Tattoo – Sugar skulls are a part of Mexican culture and make a commonly featured skull tattoo design these days. Skull is an important part of the traditional Mexican celebration called The Day of the Dead, which is carried out on 2nd November every year. On this day, a gathering of family and friends is held in memory of the loved ones and edible sugar skulls are made. These skulls are decorated with flowers and ornate designs. A sugar skull is also used as a design element in skull tattoos, as a token of honor for a loved one who has died. The tattoo mourns the departed soul, and at the same time celebrates life as it goes on after he has left.
- Skull and Crossbones Tattoo – The most common design in skull tattoos is the skull and crossbones design, which was originally used by pirates in old days. It is also a symbol of danger and poison. The tattoo may also include a Confederate flag, complete with stars and bars.
- Grim Reaper Tattoo – One of the most menacing looking skull tattoo design is the Grim Reaper tattoo, which features a hooded skeleton with a scythe, which it uses to harvest the souls. The scythe may be replaced with a funnier object like a guitar to add a sense of humor to the tattoo design. The Grim Reaper symbolizes death.
- Bull and Deer Skull Tattoo – Another well liked skull tattoo design is the one which uses animal skull rather than the human skull, the main ones being the bull and the deer. The bull skull design shows prominent looking horns and is meant to show the attitude of people who do what they love to do. On the other hand, the deer skull design may or may not show the antlers on the basis of the choice of the bearer of the tattoo.
Some other skull tattoos may feature skull with other objects like flame, birds (like phoenix, humming bird), butterflies, feathers, anchors, dreamcatcher, dagger, angels, wings and stars. One can note the aesthetic value as well as symbolic meaning of these tattoos before having them inked. The choice in skull tattoo designs, is so wide that it can be quite confusing to pick the right one. A bit of research can be of great help in making the correct choice among the various options available in skull designs, as these tattoos are going to be a part of you always.
Celebrities with Skull Tattoo Designs
Many global celebrities have been seen flaunting different types of skull tattoo designs, which is what makes these designs so cool and desirable among young men and women. Some of the notable stars who are seen with skull tattoos are Ben Affleck, Rihanna, Chris Brown, Jon Bon Jovi, Slash, Allen Iverson, Kelly Osbourne, Nick Cave, Nicholas Cage and Mickey Rourke. All these people have contributed to a great extent to the popularity of skull tattoos by showing off these designs in public.