One of the most dazzling designs in tattoo art is the star tattoos, which showcase these glittering heavenly bodies as an impressive and eye catching mark on the tattoo bearer. The design is small and simple, yet looks very attractive. Being uncomplicated makes the design ideal for a first timer, as it involves less pain and is comparatively low on the price scale too.
Table of Contents
Symbolic Meanings of Star Tattoo Designs
Moreover, star tattoo has its own symbolic significance, making it a great attraction for discerning tattoo lovers. These tiny twinkling bodies not only beautify the night skies, but also act as guides to human beings and bring inspiration and internal strength for them. In fact, they have occupied a vital place in history, religion, culture and mythology, which makes them all the more significant and fascinating. As a result, star tattoos are loved by both men and women as the new way to enhance their looks and make a presentation of their attitude.
Impressive Star Tattoo Designs
For people wanting to have star tattoos inked, there are options galore when it comes to designs in star tattoos. Here are some impressive star tattoo designs:
- Nautical Star Tattoo – Nautical star tattoos are designed in the form of a five pointed star, each point divided into a half and filled alternately in black and white or black and red. The design, which is quite masculine to look at, traces its history into the days when sailors used to use the North Star to navigate in the rough seas. The star helped them to find their way in the sea and reach home safely. Nautical star tattoo was popular among sailors and are now seen on military soldiers, who take it as a good luck charm guaranteeing their safe home coming. It is also considered as a sign of good health in Ireland. The gay or lesbian community has a nautical star inked on their wrist to let others know about their preference.
- Shooting Star Tattoo – Shooting star, as we know, refers to a meteor and signifies a new meaning in life or change for something better. These tattoos are a way to show one’s desire to achieve something in life and aspire to make a better future. It signifies success and good luck, along with fulfillment of wishes. These designs feature a single shooting star or a group of them. In case of shooting star tattoo design, a trail of stardust is usually shown following the star, which makes it occupy somewhat larger surface area. These tattoos look feminine and are usually borne by girls, with lower back, wrist, arm and leg being the most preferred area for them.
- Star of life Tattoos – The star of life tattoo is another variant among star tattoo designs, which is mostly worn by people in the medical field, particularly those dealing with medical emergency. This blue colored star has six points, with the Rod of Asclepius in the center and the rod is entwined by a snake. The Rd is a symbol of healing and medicine.
- Tribal Star Tattoos – Tribal design is an eternal favorite in star tattoos too, as it is with all other kinds of tattoo designs. The geometric shape of star tattoo makes it perfect to be adapted in the form of traditional tribal design. Tribal star tattoo is considered as the most popular star tattoo design today and it has its stronghold since the nineties, with young girls having this one inked over their lower back area.
- Moon and Star Tattoo – The combination of stars with other celestial bodies like the moon and the sun make a great design option among star tattoos. This design looks great as the moon and the sun complement the stars. They are also simple yet good looking.
- Star Tattoos with Flowers – A common and attractive star tattoo design, which is usually seen on women, is star tattoos with flowers (such as rose, lotus, lily). Having your favorite flower incorporated with star tattoo is another attractive option.
- Zodiac Sign Tattoo/Star Sign Tattoo – In addition to star shaped tattoos, a special mention is need about the star sign or zodiac sign tattoo. The tattoo bearer gets inked with his own astrological sign, which is determined by his date of birth and reflects the traits related with his personality.
- Multiple Star Tattoos – Most of the star tattoo designs feature a solitary star, but the latest designs include multiple stars being depicted in the design, a trend which has gripped the art in recent times is women getting a three star tattoo in the pelvic region, one in the center and the other two on the left and the right hip, which look really cool.
- Pentagram Star Tattoo – Pentagram is another form of star tattoo, which is of great religious significance, as it has been an ancient symbol in various religions and cultures around the world. It has been regarded as a charm for protecting a person against evil. As the Pentagram has 5 points, each one represents the elements of light, air, water, wind and fire, all of which are the basis of existence on the earth. The ancient Egyptian culture regards the Pentagram as the symbol of celestial sky, while Astronomy signifies it as a symbol of femininity.
In Christian religion too, it is of great significance as it denotes good health and the five senses. On the other hand, Satanism makes use of the reversed pentagram framed within a double circle. Star tattoos can be made in traditional black color or a range of vibrant colors, which can create a stunning effect. In particular, flowers and stars tattoos and shooting stars tattoos look really good on girls, the credit going to use of multiple colors.
Placement of Star Tattoos
Star tattoos make a great choice for both men and women looking to be adorned with the latest in tattoo art. The placement of star tattoos, however, differs in both the sexes and also determines how good the design looks. Men have star tattoos done on their chest, back, shoulder, upper arm and wrists. On the other hand, these tattoos are featured in a more delicate way on women, preferably on their neck, abdomen, under the ear, shoulder, navel, hip, thigh and even the face. Basically, it is the size of the tattoo which determines the most favorable placement for it. For instance, larger star tattoos can be featured on broader areas like the chest and the back, while smaller ones can be done on finger, wrists and back of the ear. Star tattoos can also be used with different objects such as dreamcatcher, feathers, anchor, angels, wings etc.
Celebrities with Star Tattoos
The popularity of these star tattoos is not only attributed to their aesthetic value, but also to the fact that there is an impressive list of international celebrities endorsing this particular tattoo design. The number of such celebrities is pretty large, but to mention just a few of them, we would include some very big and famous names like Megan Fox, Britney Spears, George Clooney, Bruce Willis, Drew Barrymore, Rihanna, Boy George, Victoria Beckham, Aaliyah, Gerry Halliwel, Kate Hudson, Norah Jones, Kelly Osbourne, Anna Kournikova, Eva Longoria, Pink and Tokio Hotel. From this list, one can well imagine how popular star tattoos are.