The sun is regarded as the most vital element of the solar system. In fact, it comes across as the basis of all life on the earth, because it provides both heat and light, which are essential for sustaining life on the planet. Since the ancient times, the sun has been revered all over the universe, as the giver of life and energy. Perhaps, this is the reason why this powerful celestial force occupies an important place in religion, culture, tradition and also in tattoo art, where sun tattoo has become one of the most sought after tattoo designs.
Table of Contents
Symbolic Meanings of Sun Tattoo
Sun is recognized as the supreme power in nature, on which the existence of the whole universe depends. The mystical sun tattoo design has a great symbolic value and is popular among men and women alike. Though every person interprets a tattoo design in his own way and wants it to make it signify his belief or attitude, there are some special symbolic meanings attached with the sun tattoo design.
- Civilizations and Sun – Different civilizations around the world had different views and beliefs about the sun, which they used abundantly as a design element in their artwork. The Sumerians worshipped Utu as the sun god from 3000 BC, while Sun was revered as Shamash in the Akkadian culture and Ra in the ancient Egyptian culture. The Greeks revered Apollo as the Sun God. Various evidences around the sun point its place of significance, both in the scientific and religious sense, since the ancient times. Southern Egypt is the home to the oldest sun dial in the world, which dates back to 6000 years ago.
- Human Savior – From the beginning of times, sun is known as the supported of life on the earth as it gives energy in the form of heat and light to the human race. In fact, it generates life strength and energy in all the living things on the planet and nothing is possible on the earth without the same.
- Fertility and vitality – Another symbolic meaning of the sun relates it to fertility and vitality, because it is the sun which helps in creation of the new lives and rebirth.
- Symbol of truth – The sun is also regarded as the symbol of truth and endurance, which stands at its place and does its work with untiring patience and commitment. The sun gives us faith that it will always stand by the earth and fulfill the needs of the human race living here.
- Protector of life – The Native American culture professes the role of the sun as the protector of life on the earth. It is revered as the guardian of the daylight and as long as the sun is there, nothing can destroy life on the earth.
- Courage, bravery and wisdom – There are some other general beliefs associated with the sun which are prevalent in various cultures of the world. The sun stands for courage, bravery and wisdom. It brings good luck and hope and transmits a new energy in the human beings every day. Another myth about the sun is that when the earth will come to an end, there will be a final sunset on its last day.
In this way, sun is linked with a wide array of meanings and the basic sun tattoo design can be incorporated with various design elements to give an altogether new and different meaning to the sun tattoo design. Therefore, the sun tattoo is looked at in a different light depending upon its basic design and the elements included in it. Check our collections of Biomechanical tattoos, 3D Tattoos, Henna tattoos for creative ideas.
Popular Sun Tattoo Designs
With so many reasons for the sun being the most important heavenly body in the solar system, it is but obvious that this is one of the most loved tattoo designs too. At the same time, this tattoo design is simple and easy to make and looks great too, which also accounts for its popularity. Here are some common sun tattoo designs:
- Tribal Sun Tattoos – Tribal tattoo designs remain an eternal favorite among the designers as well as tattoo lovers around the world, because of their sheer eye catching looks and powerful impact. Many of the tribal designs feature the sun with a man’s face clearly visible inside it. The Mayans designed sun tattoos to show their strength and power while the Navajo tribe used it as a symbol of creation. In Aztec tribal designs, the sun tattoo come in various patterns, from simple ones to the more detailed styles and patterns. Taino sun tattoos represent the sun as a fiery ball, which is surrounded by hot and fierce rays. The sun and moon have been compared to Yin and Yang, which are the two opposite and emotional sides of every human being.
- Solar Wheel Design – Some designs depict the sun as a solar wheel, which look quite different from the typical ones. Others can show the sun as a simple dot with a circle drawn around it, while others can show a cross along with the basic sun tattoo design. Such designs have a huge fan following in the Middle Eastern countries.
- Floral Sun Tattoo Design – Flowers such as lotus, rose and sunflower can be incorporated in the sun tattoo designs to give them a beautiful and feminine look. This will create an absolutely brilliant effect for the tattoo. Dragon, phoenix, fish, lion, wolf, elephant, dragon, celestial objects stars, moon, birds and many other elements such as dreamcatchers, feathers, anchors, arrows, compass, geometric, musical symbols, heart, infinity, trees, angels, wings can also be used to enhance the sun tattoo designs.
Placement of Sun Tattoos
Like all other tattoo designs, the placement of sun tattoos is determined by its size and design. Typically, larger and more detailed tattoos look good on the areas like the stomach, rib, shoulder, thigh, lower back, spine, chest, legs and hip while the smaller ones can be done on the sleeves, ankles, wrists, back of the ear, neck even as finger tattoos.
Celebrities and Sun Tattoos
Though sun tattoos are already a popular tattoo design, their popularity has reached new heights in the recent times, after they have been carries around by some big international celebrities. The list includes the likes of Orlando Bloom, Anastacia, Godsmack, Henry Rollins and Corey Taylor. You might want to check our collection of Mother & Daughter tattoos, Best Friend tattoos, Sister tattoos, White Ink tattoos.
The sun is the most powerful force in the universe on which all life on the planet depends as it gives heat and light. It’s all powerful nature, combines with its aesthetic beauty makes sun tattoo one of the most sought after designs in tattoo art. There can be tribal designs and others which include element such as flowers, dragon, moon, stars and phoenix.