Throughout the history of tattoo art, animals have been a great source of inspiration for tattoo artists to create unique and meaningful designs. Amongst the animal tattoos, tiger tattoos make a popular option because they have immense beauty and unmatched powers, making it an ultimate source of inspiration for humans. There is something regal about this striped creature, which has made people hunt for its beautiful skin and unprecedented hunting has led it to become an endangered species today.
Tiger tattoos are at the pinnacle of popularity these days because of their eye catching look and symbolic meaning. At the same time, some people simply get it inked to imply that their personality embodies the strength and power of these amazing animals. On the other hand, some animal lovers bear this tattoo to support the cause of protecting this fast diminishing species from the earth. Whatever be the reason of bearing the tiger tattoo, the one well known fact about it is its visual appeal, which makes it a top choice among discerning tattoo lovers.
Table of Contents
Symbolic Meaning of Tiger and Tiger Tattoos
Tigers belong to the cat family and their habitats are deep dense forests. These are big and heavy animals, with amazing abilities to hunt and swim and these make them adapted to living in the wild. Symbolically, tigers represent ferocity, strength, power and force, which are actually the physical attributes of this powerful animal. Sometimes, they are also interpreted as symbols of vengeance and cunning, while some relate them with passion and sensuality. In some cultures, tigers are hunted for their body parts, which are supposed to bear aphrodisiac qualities and increase sexual prowess.
- In Asian culture, tigers have been a part of mythology, while in India they are seen as violent and destructive animals, with villages in some parts of the country being practically wiped out by man eating tigers.
- The Chinese folklore regards the tiger to be the protector of the dead, which is why tigers were etched on the gravestones so that the soul would make a safe passage to the afterlife. The Chinese also associate the animal with the God of Wealth and believe that the tiger tattoo can bring good luck and prosperity for the bearer. It is also believed to ward off evil from his life.
- In Korean culture, the tiger is considered to be the King of the Animals. In this way tiger becomes a popular choice among tattoo designs for those who want to signify power, dominance and passion as a part of their personality.
Placement of Tiger Tattoos
Ideally, tiger tattoos are preferred by men and are large in size, though the selection of the size and design totally depend upon the preference of the tattoo bearer. The middle of the back, chest and biceps are the most popular placement for a tiger tattoo, while it can also be done on the side or stomach area. Though women may find the tiger tattoo a bit overpowering, but still some women can be adventurous enough to have them inked. Preferably, it can be inked on the lower back, stomach and shoulder area of a woman. Certain modifications can be made in the design to make it look feminine, such as adding design elements like flowers and butterflies or opting for something delicate like tiger paw prints. The placement of the tattoo actually depends upon the size and design of the tattoo.
Popular Tiger Tattoo Designs
Tigers make a versatile design option which can be subjected to experimentation to create something really innovative and appealing. Here are some popular designs of tiger tattoos:
- Tribal Tiger Tattoos – If you are looking for a tiger tattoo design which exudes sheer power and strength, then there would be nothing better for you than tribal tiger tattoos. These animals are considered as totems of spiritual energy and the bearer can derive lasting inspiration from these powerful tattoo designs.
- Realistic 3D Tiger Tattoos – Tigers are a symbol of beauty, with their shiny striped coat and impressive eyes. So if aesthetic value of a tattoo is what really matters to you, then you can opt for realistic tiger tattoo designs, a 3D tattoo is a great way to have this amazing animal inked on your body.
- Dragon Tiger Tattoo – A dragon tiger tattoo combines the two traditional enemies as per the Chinese folklore. While a dragon represents knowledge and wisdom, a tiger stands for power and strength, and a tattoo which has both these elements signifies the eternal struggle of the body and mind.
- Baby Tiger Tattoo – Baby tiger tattoos are ideal for those looking for cute tiger designs as innocence and childish love is what these tattoos symbolize. Mothers who want to express their devout love for their children can choose this tattoo design because female tigers are known to be protective and affectionate mothers.
In addition to these design options, a bearer can work with his artist to experiment with various elements to create a new and meaningful design. Flowers, butterflies, tiger eyes, tiger paw prints and forests are some design elements which work well with tiger tattoos.
Amazing Pictures Of Tiger Tattoos