Butterflies are pretty insects, which have been a source of admiration for man since the beginning of time. These playful little things, hopping from flower to flower, boast of vibrant colors and attraction value like no other insect in nature. These beautiful creatures have been featured in poems and paintings and also occupy an important place in tattoo art, with many designers working on innovative butterfly tattoo designs for clients with a discerning eye for beauty and intricacy. In fact, butterfly tattoos are one of the most popular tattoo designs among women, because they are feminine and vibrant enough to reflect the true personality of a bubbly young lady. Not only girls, even guys seem to have a liking for butterfly tattoos.
Table of Contents
Symbolic Significance of Butterfly Tattoos
Butterflies are beautiful creatures which can draw anyone’s attention in a single glimpse. They symbolize the purity of the soul and gentleness of the heart because of their fragility. They also stand for beauty, love and affection. These tiny little insect seldom let anyone get to them and fly away at once, which is the reason they are associated with flight. Another notion related to butterfly is that it relates to metamorphosis, as the creature passes through many stages of change to get transformed from an ugly little caterpillar into its beautiful self. The caterpillar passes through the difficult stage of a cocoon and begins its new life after going through hard times. This signifies that a person grows from his original state to what he actually wants to be, a new improved self. There are diverse meanings of butterfly tattoos in different cultures.
- In Japanese culture, a butterfly stands for freedom, while a large group of butterflies seem like a bad women. It is a belief that a butterfly entering the guestroom of a home impends the coming of a loved one. Similarly, butterflies flying into the bedroom are also considered lucky, particularly when the spouse or a child is out and it means that they will come back home safely.
- In the Chinese culture, two butterflies represent love and togetherness. The same applies in western culture too, as being in love is often explained by the famous phrase “Butterflies in the stomach”.
- The Greek and Christian cultures see butterflies as the symbol of soul, while it is also associated with freedom. It is also said that a butterfly brings good luck, when it site on a person. In Russian language, the word butterfly sounds like the grandmother.
- In the ancient Aztec culture, these tiny little creatures represent the souls of women who died during childbirth or those of the dead warriors. In some other cultures, butterflies, particularly the white ones, represent the souls of the children who have departed and are believed to bring solace to the parents as they picture their lost child in the form of a beautiful butterfly.
With so many symbolic meanings, butterflies have been leading the list of objects which are used in tattoo art. Since butterfly tattoos are associated with freedom, these tattoos are often got done by people who are released from imprisonment. This tattoo is also a popular choice among students who have passed out from the university, while a purple butterfly has also been adopted by the Lupus Society, who use this vibrant creature to depict their fight against Lupus. The beauty of the butterfly tattoos lies in its simplicity and colorfulness, which is blended with intricate detail.
Placement of Butterfly Tattoo
A butterfly tattoo is something exquisite and beautiful, which attracts attention at whichever body part it is inked. A small sized butterfly tattoo is done on the neck, wrist, ankle, finger or under the ear, whereas larger butterfly tattoos are inked on the back, shoulder, chest, thigh, arm and leg. The fact is that butterfly is such an eye catching creature that size does not matter in its case. The same can be seen in the butterfly tattoo design, such that even a small or medium sized tattoo is enough to catch the attention of the onlooker. These tattoos can also be used with objects such as dreamcatchers, feathers, anchor and many others. Whether it is common people or celebrities, butterfly tattoos have acquired a desirable status among tattoo lovers all over the world and the endorsement of these tattoos by global celebrities have taken their popularity to a great high. Penelope Cruz, Julia Roberts, Britney Spears, Rihanna, Paris Hilton and Harry Styles are some celebrities who have been spotted with butterfly tattoos and have added to the craze of these tattoos among the young and the old.
Beautiful Butterfly Tattoo Designs
Butterfly tattoo designs are available in a large variety, with tattoo designers constantly working on these designs to cash in on their ever increasing popularity. Since these designs are considered more on a feminine side, they are mostly preferred by girls, though boys can be spotted with them too. Some of the fantastic butterfly tattoo design ideas are mentioned below:
- Girlish Butterfly Tattoos – Since butterflies are feminine and lady like creatures, these tattoos are mostly done in girlish designs, which come in a wide array of girlish colors like pink, orange, red and yellow. Such tattoos are accompanied by other design elements like stars, hearts, bows and angels, which makes them look really cute and adorable.
- Couple Butterfly Tattoos – While a solitary butterfly looks exquisite, a pair of them represents the love and togetherness of a couple. They can be shown along with flowers and vines, with the names of the two lovers or friends inked along with, making a great choice for those who want to make an immortal impression of their feelings towards each other. Both the partners can have such a tattoo inked on themselves.
- 3D Butterfly Tattoos – The latest in butterfly tattoos is the 3D version, which looks really impressive and outstanding. They seem to have a lifted look, as if the objects are actually placed on the skin of the bearer. This realistic looking tattoo is a favorite among men as it is a real visual treat, with the most preferable locations for the tattoo being the chest, the side and the back.
- Tribal Butterfly Tattoo – Whichever design we talk about in tattoo art, the tribal pattern remains the evergreen choice as these tattoos look good on any sex, age or part of the body. Tribal butterfly tattoos are usually inked in blue color and look really impressive. Another way in which tribal designs are featured in a butterfly tattoo is a colored butterfly with black swirls, which are part of tribal designs. The ideal location for a tribal butterfly tattoo is the lower back area. The tribal design is symmetrical in nature, with the butterfly centered at the spine and its wings spreading on both the sides, reaching out according to the size of the butterfly tattoo. Such a tribal design is also done of the upper back, depending upon the choice of the tattoo bearer.
In addition to the above mentioned designs in butterfly tattoos, some other designs are considered as popular choices in these tattoos. These can include butterflies featured with flowers and water cascades, which can look absolutely stunning. One can choose a flower which complements one’s personality, such as the rose, lotus, jasmine, sunflower, daffodil or any other. Sometimes, a butterfly tattoo can feature a moving effect, generally suitable for the leg area, with the biggest butterfly on the bottom and the size going smaller, as the design moved upward, and the smallest on seen on the top. The design can be done in pretty and bright colors for a beautiful effect. Some nice words or verses can be added to a butterfly tattoo design, which gives it a whole new meaning. The name of a loved one can be incorporated with it to dedicate the tattoo to a very special person in one’s life.
The specialty of a butterfly tattoo lies in its versatility, with respect to its color, size and design. A butterfly tattoo can look as impressive in a monochrome as it can, when inked in a combination of bright colors and with colorful elements like flowers added to the design. Also, it can look equally god in small, medium or large sizes. Another god thing about this tattoo is that it is a great choice for the people going to be inked for the first time, as they can have just a small little butterfly tattoo to begin with. As they start feeling comfortable with the idea of pain and money involved and are ready to go for more, they can have the same tattoo enhanced, with more design elements incorporated in it or more intricate detailing done in the same butterfly tattoo. We can also say that a butterfly tattoo can transform a mundane looking tattoo and add an entirely new dimension to it, giving it a beautiful new look and making it more eye catching. Perhaps, it is all these reasons, in addition to the aesthetic value of this tiny little creature, what makes the butterfly tattoo a top choice of the tattoo lovers around the world.