From being a silent declaration of a person’s attitude to becoming a style statement, tattoos have come a long way in its journey spanning a period of many centuries now. Basically, tattoos are meant to grab attention and this is what they do well enough if they are placed at a prominent position on the body of the bearer, whether man or woman. This is what makes hand tattoos one of the most famous options for the rebellious lot, who want to be very open and expressive about their attitude. What makes hands an ideal placement for flaunting tattoos is the fact that tattoos can be as prominent on the location as they are easy to hide. While the bearer can get a good deal of compliments for the attractive hand tattoos he or she is sporting, they can also conceal such tattoos easily when the same is required for professional purposes. The hand tattoos which are inked on the inner side are particularly easier to conceal. One more notable thing about hand tattoos is that it is painful to have them inked. Therefore, only the very bold and the very committed should venture into the sphere of hand tattoos.
Table of Contents
Popular Hand Tattoos Designs
Since hand tattoos can be very, very prominent, their design needs to be chosen with care as the tattoos design says a lot about the attitude of the bearer. They can come in a variety of sizes as tiny thumb and finger tattoos fall in the category of hand tattoos and so do the large sleeve tattoos too. Men and women prefer to have bright and vibrant designs for hand tattoos because they want to express their rebellious attitude through these tattoos. Bright colors, strong strokes and vivid patterns are the basic attributes of hand tattoo designs for men and women. Here are some of the most commonly used designs in hand tattoos:
- Gang Symbol Hand Tattoos – Hand tattoos have always been a preferred choice for marking the members of a gang and people who join a gang get a tattoo design related to that particular gang, inked on their hand as a joining ritual. Spider web, skull, flower and anchor are some of the designs used by gangs as hand tattoos.
- Flower Hand Tattoos – Flowers make another formidable choice to create attractive hand tattoo designs as they are eternal symbols of love, purity and beauty. Women, in particular, have an affinity towards floral designs. Moreover, these patterns are versatile as there is a good choice in terms of colors as well as variety of flowers which can be chosen to create a unique design on the hand of the bearer. Each flower has a different symbolic meaning too and the bearer can choose the one closest to what they want to signify. Flower hand tattoos can be combined with other elements like butterflies, bees, thorns, leaves, hearts, etc, to add to their aesthetic value as well as symbolic significance.
- Tribal Hand Tattoos – Tribal designs have been eternal favorites as far as tattoo art is concerned. These designs are cool looking, mostly in black color and having vivid strong lines, which make them bold, visible and attractive. Tattoo bearers love to flaunt the attractive tribal designs while artists too find them too enticing to experiment with such designs.
- Superhero Hand Tattoos – Young men and women love to have superhero tattoos inked on their hands as these tattoos represent heroism and brave hearted spirit. This is why you would spot many a youngster with a Batman, Spiderman, Hulk or Superman embossed on the back of his hand.
- Text Hand Tattoos – One of the most popular options in hand tattoos is text based tattoos, which may include the name, quotation or initials of the bearer or that of a loved one he or she wants to be a part of them forever and ever. The bearer can also have an important date inked on the hand, in order to commemorate a special day in their life such as their birthday, wedding date or birth date of a loved one. In some cultures, people even commemorate the date of death of a deceased loved one by having it inked as a tattoo on their hand or some other part of the body. Some people also use religious verses or text as hand tattoos, which declare their love and devotion to their religion. Religious symbols like the Holy Cross can be added to such tattoos.
- Finger Ring Tattoos – Finger and thumb tattoos can also be defined as hand tattoos. While small symbols like birds, butterflies or initials can be etched on the fingers, ornamental ring tattoos make a great choice for discerning tattoo lovers. These ring tattoos make a good replacement for expensive wedding or engagement rings and the best thing is that you are never going to lose them or part with them.
- Arabic Hand Tattoos – Arabic hand tattoos are different from the conventional tattoos as they are created with a natural dye called henna and are temporary in nature. For centuries, they have been used to deck up the hands of women on special occasions such as weddings and birth of children in the family.
In addition to the aforementioned hand tattoo designs, the bearer as well as the artist can also experiment with additional elements to create something new and amazing. They can use elements of nature like stars, sun and moon, celebrity portraits, cute bows and other things, depending upon what they want to express through the tattoo design.
Hand Tattoos and Celebrities
Despite the fact that hand tattoos are very painful to get inked, their popularity is still rising day by day. This can be attributed to celebrities endorsing such tattoos by bearing them. Jesse James, Britney Spears, Indian Larry and Dave Navarro are some of the global celebrities who have been spotted with hand tattoos and have in a way given a new boost to their popularity by advocating them in the public.
Getting hand tattoos is a big decision because they involve much pain and are more susceptible to infection because hands are used for everyday activities. Therefore, such tattoos need extra care and attention but the end results are remarkably beautiful and worth all the efforts.